Monday, June 28, 2010

Watermelon Belly

Timbo's mom and dad have a cabin up in Blue Ridge and were so sweet to let Tim and I go up over the weekend for some R&R after the crazy week at the doctors. Unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of resting and relaxing for me. I started getting very sharp pains in my stomach and I was having a hard time eating because my belly felt so full and bloated. I had a hard time sleeping because when I laid down I wasn't able to breath because the fluid would move up to my diaphragm and push on my lungs. I got up very early Saturday in pain and went to the bathroom and things took a turn for the worse. I was throwing up and blacking out and was so scared that I think I was causing my self to have a panic attack. It was like my body was in so much pain I couldn't function. I yelled to Tim (poor thing was sound asleep) and said "call an ambulance, get me off this mountain I'm dying!" I know I was very dramatic, but I was in freak out mode.
Tim was so calm and handled it very well. He put me on the bed and was helping me calm down by making me take big breaths in and out. Then he gathered up all our stuff and put it in the car and we headed for Emory. Should have been a two and a half hour drive, but I told Tim to step on it and we made it in an hour and a half.
Once at Emory, my doctor did and ultra sound and saw that the fluid was starting to spread to my liver. I had gained another 4 pounds and my blood was very dehydrated because all the fluid from my blood stream was going out to my abdomen. They put me up in a room in the hospital and hooked me up to an IV. My veins were so dehydrated they had to stick me four times before they could get a vein to take. The plan was to keep me over night and get fluid back in my blood stream and drain me in the morning. This morning they weighed me and I gained another 7 pounds, yes over night! So now they are waiting for me to show signs that I'm turning for the better before they drain me because they said if they do it now it will just come back.
I'm just chillin in my room now waiting for the doctors to give me the go ahead. Tim left for work but he brought me the lap top to entertain me. They aren't letting me eat or drink either and all I can think about is eating a Flow's Fila.
Thank God for the positive side of all this. I believe severe OHSS only happens in like 3 to 8% of IVF patients, but the doctor said the only cases he's ever had of women like me all ended up being preggers. That is really helping me deal with the pain :) So I'll just sit here in bed rubbing on my big watermelon belly like I got a baby in there!

2 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you Sara! I hope the fluid starts going down soon and you can start feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, amongst all that pain and suffering, there is good news in what the doctor said. You will know in only three days! :) Hang in there, try to relax and hope you are feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete