Sunday, April 25, 2010

Orientation

Last Thursday Tim and I had our orientation at Emory. Up untill this point every doctors visit has consisted of blood work and testing, but not to in depth of what the process involved. This doctors visit was a lot different because we had to get into all the "what if's" of the invitro process so our doctor could check off and have us sign that he's explained everything that could possibly happen. Not going to lie it freaked me out a little. Then we had to make a lot of on the spot decisions that we had never thought about or discussed as a couple, for example what would I do with the eggs/sperm if Tim were to die before the procedure. We just looked at each other like "do we get to talk about this for minute", but we had to answer all these types of crazy scenario questions right then and there.
After that part of the orientation was over (and my brain was spinning) we meet with the nurse who taught me how to give myself the shots. I looked like such a buffoon fumbling with the needle and dropping it a couple times. Then my attempt to get out the air bubbles almost made me cry cause my light flicks on the shot were not doing anything to make the bubble float to the top. Some shots we will have to mix with a powder and others I am given a special "pen" that I put together to give to myself. Then two of the shots, which need to be absorbed slower and they have to be inserted into my muscle (which means a very long needle in my butt) are giving to me by Tim. Glad I trust my husband so much! We watched video and got to practice on a fake skin pad. I feel reassured to know that everyday people do invitro all the time and are able to give them selves shots, so I can too. Even though after leaving the doctor I felt like I needed a nursing degree to do this process!!
Next up are a couple of out patient procedures for Tim and I and then I will be starting the medication in a couple weeks. Crazy to think we are in the process of making a baby! Thanks to all for their love and prayers, really means a lot to us! A specific prayer request for me is to be able to give God any fears I have and to give me the discernment to weed out satans lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment